Steven Crake

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Steven Crake

Post by sdcrake on Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:13 am

I am the Head of History and Theory of Knowledge (TOK) Coordinator at Beijing Huijia (IB) Private School, where I have taught on the IB Diploma and MYP since 2009.

I have had a great interest in History since I was a child, and I have been especially interested in Modern World History since my teens. The Cold War is my favourite period in History, and I am very lucky to be teaching this as part of the IB Diploma History course. It really fascinates me how the Second World War Big Three Alliance dissolved into the post-war enmity that was the Cold War, and that this in turn nearly led to a conflict than anything that came out of the Second World War. My interest in the Cold War has led to an interest in the end of the Cold War and Eastern Europe immediately after the fall of Communism there and the break-up of the Soviet Union. I am very lucky to be able to teach all of this to my History classes. How many teachers can really teach areas in subjects that are so dear to their hearts?

My other great interest in History is Churchill – especially his leadership of Britain during the Second World War and even more so his post-war years – or his so-called forgotten years. The start of this period was marked by his party’s defeat in the 1945 General Election (his party’s defeat as opposed to his defeat (it is not quite the same as the Presidential Election). This was an event that goes down as one of the all-time greatest (not to mention most shocking) moments in British Political folklore. It is also the event that got me into Modern History like never before, and in a way from which I have never looked back. It is ironic that democracy - the very thing that Churchill fought for – turned round and bit him on the nose just as he had achieved it. Churchill bowed to it however and resigned as Prime Minister less than a month before VJ Day (although he was as responsible for the end of the war against Japan as he would have been if he had seen the war’s end as Prime Minister)! Churchill’s ‘forgotten years’ saw Churchill’s famous Iron Curtain speech, and a second term of office as Prime Minister (1951-55) during which he tried to achieve a lasting peace (or peaceful co-existence) between East and West. He did not achieve this during his time as Prime Minister in the 1950s, nor did he live to see the end of the Cold War. He died in 1965 feeling that he had achieved a lot, in the end to achieve nothing. When we consider however, how subsequent US Presidents after his death took on board his polices regarding the Cold War, and how this was instrumental in the final end of the Cold War, maybe Churchill was more instrumental (albeit posthumously) in the end of the Cold War than is obvious. Here is a lesson for us all. Even we appear to have failed at the time, there is no knowing when our efforts may yet bare fruit, how it may happen, and who it may benefit. I bring all of this into the relevant units of the Cold War, so again I am very lucky to be able to teach areas in History for which I have such a passion.

Outside the classroom, Music is my big passion. I am a keen choral singer, and at Huijia I run my own teachers’ chamber choir, where we sing traditional Christmas carols in four-part harmony at the school’s Christmas concerts and parties, and sing at other events including the Lower Secondary School’s Cultural Festival. I also sing in a chamber choir in Beijing called Nine Gates Polyphony – named after the nine gates that surrounded old Beijing – in which we mainly sing Renaissance music.

sdcrake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

We welcome Steven!

Post by tonybazen on Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:31 pm

Welcome to the message board! Steven is our History Department Chairman and does a wonderful job. He has an amazing grasp and insight into 20th century history, especially British history. Steven also has an amazing voice. I wish he could give me some voice lessons. Very Happy

Steven's contributions to our project will be invaluable.
tonybazen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Steven Crake

Post by Hloewen on Sun May 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi! I really like music , too! It's nice to meet someone with similar passions! I really enjoy singing, piano, and next year I will learn to play guitar!

Hloewen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sdcrake on Fri May 12, 2017 2:38 am

Hi Hloewen,

Welcome to this project!

Another musician! I've never played the guitar or piano, which is a pity because you can play them unaccompanied, and I'd love to be able to play solo unaccompanied but with harmony and melody together - if that makes sense.

Steven Crake
Head of History and TOK Coordinator - Beijing Huijia School

sdcrake

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top